On December 7th, Young People Have the following Choices before them as presented by the two Major Presidential Candidates –
Your Vote Counts !
● John Mahama’s SLTF plus Policy that allows students to access SLTF support to pay their fees and register Vrs Akufo-addo who has no policy solution for University Students in such difficult times
● John Mahama’s plan to Increase the Students Loan by 100% Vrs Akufo-addo’s Zero Plan on that.
● Both Candidates have promised to make the SLTF accesment form a guarantor-free form. There is no difference here.
● John Mahama’s plan to make TVET free at all levels including Tertiary and the over 200 TVET institutions under Ministries aside the Ministry of Education Vrs Akufo-addo who will make students in TVET institutions at the Tertiary Levels and those under other Ministries aside the Ministry of Education pay full fees.
● John Mahama’s plan to expand free SHS to cover students in private Senior High Schools Vrs Akufo-addo who argues that it is an unconstitutional policy hence students in private Senior high schools will continue to pay full school fees
● John Mahama’s promise to absorb 50% of the fees of all students in Tertiary Institutions in the next academic year Vrs Akufo-addo’s policy to let students pay full fees in the midst of a global pandemic
● John Mahama’s policy to build at least six new Public Universities Vrs Akufo-addo’s agenda of renaming public Universities in honour of NPP heroes.
● John Mahama’s plan to execute a free primary healthcare policy for all young people Vrs Akufo-addo’s policy to let young people continue to pay for primary healthcare
● John Mahama’s Policy to Create at least One Million decent Edwumpa Jobs Vrs Akufo-addo who mentions that He has created over 700,000 new jobs since 2017 in the public sector whereas the evidence provides that the entire Public Sector workers in this Country amounts to less than 700,000 people ; that there has been no significant change in the number from December 2016.
● John Mahama’s promise to roll out the One Million coders program to create IT & Development Technology Global Giants in Ghana. Also John Mahama plan to operate free internet service in all schools. Vrs Akufo-addo’s policy absence on the subject
● John Mahama’s Plan to establish a decentralized National Employment Bureau across all districts to take information on the skills-set and unemployment situation to enable government match skills to Employment offers and shape policy properly on the unemployment situation in Ghana Vrs Akufo-addo nothing-to-show policy on the subject
● John Mahama’s Tax free policy for start-ups and small businesses Vrs Akufo-addo’s full tax payment for new companies and small businesses
● John Mahama’s National Apprenticeship Program to equip young people with skills for job creation Vrs Akufo-addo’s no-policy-plan on skills development.
● Government taking the cost for the examination of girls who are unfortunately raped & the passing of an anti-sexual harassment law Vrs Akufo-addo running a country where young girls are sexually harassed without any punishment mechanisms for men who use the balance of power to demand sex favour from girls. Also young girls having to pay for medical bills when they are unfortunately raped.
● John Mahama’s Policy plan of establishing a Microcredit Facility that gives young people funding at Zero Interest to support businesses Vrs Akufo-addo’s asking young people to take loans at bank interest rates to support their business
● John Mahama’s Plan to establish a stand-alone Ministry for Youth Development while reducing the number of ministries by close to 40 Vrs Akufo-addo’s establishment of lots of Ministries manned by families members feeding fat on our public purse while keeping Youth development issues still under the Ministry Youth & Sports and receiving little attention
● John Mahama’s plan to execute the biggest public sector employment instructed by an HR Gap analysis on the spaces in the public sector Vrs Akufo-addo’s agenda of lying to young people that he has recruited huge numbers into the public Sector when He has not. If you don’t a job – think about the pain of the deceit.
● John Mahama’s plan to automatically recruit teacher trainees after completion, cancel mandatory National Service and cancel the licensure examination regime Vrs Akufo-addo’s Plan to continue the Licensure exams for teacher trainees, continue the mandatory National service and refuse automatic employment for Teachers.
● John Mahama’s plan to establish a pension scheme for young informal sector workers to provide them decent incomes at their old age Vrs Akufo-addo’s lack of vision to create a decent pension scheme for workers not on Government’s payroll.
● John Mahama’s plan to roll back the hold of patriarchy on the Institution of political participation and the Ghanaian society in general. Also run and inclusive government with the first Female Vice President and give women at least 30% slot in all appointments. John Mahama’s plan to break the glass ceiling Vrs Akufo-addo’s argument that Ghanaian women are not dynamic enough to have a better representation than we have now at all levels of our governance structure.
● John Mahama Giving free Sanitary towels to young girls Vrs Akufo-addo’s plan to only remove the tax component on Sanitary towel ; these young girls still have to purchase sanitary towels and if they don’t have the money, put up with the psychological trauma that comes with it.
YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE A CHOICE.
Prepared by :
Julian Yaw M. Cobbinah
(NDC’s Spokesperson on Youth Development & National 2020 Campaign Team Member )